Sun-kissed beaches await the fanatic beachgoers! Enjoy a swim at:
• Amnissós (a beautiful long sandy beach, 7km east of Heráklion),
• Ayía Pelayía, Kalí Liménes (a long sandy beach), the beach of Mália (a crowded resort with thin, white sand, 36km east of Heráklion),
• the beach of Cháni Kokkíni (a wonderful beach with thin, white sand, 13km east of Heráklion known for its north-west winds, which make the place ideal for wind-surfing),
• the beach of Liménas Hersoníssou (a beautiful sandy beach along a small peninsula 27km east of Heráklion, one of the most crowded in Crete),
• the beach of Mátala (a beautiful beach with crystal waters 70km south-west of Heráklion, famous for the caves carved into the rocks, “discovered” by the hippies in the 70's), and
• the beach of Ammoudára (an organised large sandy beach with crystalline waters, 6km west of Heráklion).